Almost all chemotherapy drugs have the ability to negatively impact the bone marrow, gastrointestinal system, and ability to regrow hair. Each drug also has individual characteristics that make it unique.
Other Names: Adriamycin, Rubex
Used For: lymphoma, osteosarcoma, hemangiosarcoma
Toxicity/Side effects: damage to heart muscle; damage to kidneys in cats; colitis; tissue damage if it gets outside a vein
- Consider echocardiograms (heart ultrasound) in at-risk breeds
- Listen to the heart prior to each treatment (specifically listening for irregular rhythms)
- Pre-treat with a cardio protectant (dexrazoxane)
- Limit lifetime dose to less than 180 – 240 mg/m2
- Ensure adequate kidney function
- Use fluid therapy during treatment
- Use sulfasalazine to treat colitis
- If extravasated, apply a cold compress after aspiration and instill dexrazoxane.
Other Names: Oncovin
Used For: lymphoma
Toxicity/side effects: nerve damage; tissue damage if it goes outside a vein
- Monitor for neurologic changes
- If extravasated, aspirate as much as possible, then infiltrate the area with warm saline and apply a warm compress.
Other Names: Cytoxan, Endoxan, Neosar
Used For: lymphoma, osteosarcoma, immune-mediated disease
Toxicity/Side Effects: sterile hemorrhagic cystitis; nausea
- We give a diuretic (furosemide) and intravenous fluids along with treatment.
Other Names: Platinol-AQ
Used For: SCC, TCC, other sarcomas and carcinomas
Toxicity/Side Effects: fatal lung damage in cats; nerve damage in dogs
- Never give to cats
- Intravenous fluids given before, during, and after treatment for dogs.
Other Names: Paraplatin
Used For: sarcomas and carcinomas
Toxicity/Side Effects: liver damage
- Baseline and ongoing monitoring of liver values
Other Names: none
Used for: lymphoma
Toxicity/Side Effects: increased thirst and urination; increased appetite; weight gain; suppression of the immune system; muscle loss
- Dose reduction
Other Names: CCNU, CeeNU
Used For: brain tumors, lymphoma, MCT
Toxicity/Side Effects: bone marrow suppression; liver damage
- Close monitoring
Other Names: Leukeran
Used For: bone marrow neoplasms, autoimmune diseases, feline intestinal lymphoma
Toxicity/Side Effects: bone marrow suppression