Everyone knows that dogs, especially puppies, like to chew. Here is some information on chew toys and what is safe for your dog to chew on and play with.
Non-Edible and Long Lasting:
- Kong Toys come in a variety of shapes, sizes and durability
- Nylabone products are long lasting but can still carry a risk of fractured teeth, use with care
- Planet Dog is a Maine company that makes recycled, non-toxic toys in a variety of chew strengths
- Nylabone Healthy Edibles, Greenies
- Bones can cause stomach upset, intestinal blockages, worn and even broken teeth
- Some dogs tolerate rawhide well while others experience stomach upset or intestinal blockages if swallowed whole.
- Traditional tennis balls have an abrasive fiber cover that can wear down a dog’s teeth over time.
- Look for dog-safe tennis balls made by Kong, or any that have a felt nap instead of nylon or fiberglass
- A lot of treats & chews say that they reduce tartar, but only products that have the Veterinary Oral Health Council seal have been proven to reduce tartar build up on teeth.